woensdag 3 juni 2020

Skinwalker Valley - Chapter Two



TWO

The boy declined the coffee Glory first offered to him in the ranch’s kitchen. Unfortunately she didn’t stock Cherry Coke so he settled on a Diet one. Glory had one herself.
“Your father was pretty jumpy,” the boy told her.
“We’ve had a very unfortunate incident recently. A lot of cattle was slaughtered.”
The boy enjoyed the sound the can made when he opened it. He always did. “Slaughtered? How?”
“We’re not sure. It must have been a coyote. But I’ve never heard of any coyote with that much of an appetite an viciousness.”
“Sounds like a scary predator,” the boy thought, unable to curb his enthusiasm.
Glory shivered. “Yeah. I still have nightmares of discovering the slaughtered remains.”
“Oh, you were the one to discover them? I’m sorry about that!” The boy might be devoid of fear, he understood it could be quite upsetting to come upon a whole bunch of maimed animals. He loved animals.
“It was pretty… Distressing, yeah.”
“I guess I can imagine your dad getting a bit careful after something like that.”
Glory lowered her Coke after a sip. “Exactly.”
The boy took a long drink of Coke, thirsty after the long drive over to the ranch. “I guess I’d better cleaned up. I must reek after being cooped up in that truck for so long.”
“Truck? I didn’t see any car with you?”
“I hitchhiked. I don’t own a car.”
“Oh, really? You hitchhike a lot?”
“Most of the time, really. Cheapest way to travel.”
“Doesn’t that get scary sometimes?”
The boy smiled a wry smile. “Never.”
“You go ahead and drink your Coke and I’ll show you to your room. The shower is near that. You’ll have to share it with me and dad though.”
The boy couldn’t help but think sharing a shower with Glory wouldn’t be all that bad. Of course he understood he wouldn’t be sharing it at the same time. And that she was too old for him. He had a feeling he was going to have to repeat that a few times to himself in the days to come.
“Is there anything being done to find out what killed the cattle?”
“We had the sheriff come over but he figured this would be more of a job for the local conservation officer.”
“Conservation officer?”
“The game warden. It’s his job to investigate poaching and track wildlife. The conservation officer thought it was more of a job for the sheriff’s department. Figured the deed would have to be done by some person who bares ill will to us.”
“Anyone have a reason to?”
Glory raised an eyebrow. “You’re curious kid, aren’t you?”
The boy shrugged. “I guess.”
“Dad suggested there might be some guys who wouldn’t take my no for an answer that could be behind it. I can’t imagine though.”
The way Glory said it showed the boy how unaware of her beauty she was. “There’s some crazy folks out there. You never know.”
Glory gave the boy a playful push. “Aren’t you the wise old man?”
The boy blushed. “I’ve traveled a lot. But the conservation officer didn’t really investigate?”
“Let me say I didn’t think his heart was in it. He just went through the motions.”
“What about those talks of UFO’s and ghosts hanging around here?”
Glory rolled her eyes. “That thing again… Believe nothing of it. Just tales of farmhands that couldn’t stay off their liquor. I hope we’re not going to have that kind of issues with you.”
“I’m not even allowed to drink,” the boy chuckled.
“Right. Another good reason to hire you,” Glory said. “Come on then, let me show you your room.”

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

The Art of Nightmares - Chapter Two

  TWO   The boy at the door looked even younger than Beth had expected him to be from his e-mail. He was quite wordy for his age. He cou...